Thursday, November 13, 2014

I get "honorable mention" from another trademark law site


I’ll pass a long a link sent to me in a tweet that “honored” me this morning, “The Trademark, Copyright and Business Law Digest”, here.  I get mentioned for my Wordpress posting (link there) showing all the movie studio trademarks, under the Arts and Entertainment sectuin.  I guess Wordpress postings get found as quickly as Blogger.  I put that posting up to make the point that studios should play their entire trademarks and music before the movie starts.  20th Century Fox is the only studio (using Newman’s fanfare) to do this.  But Paramount (that is, Viacom), one of the more litigious of studios in protecting its intellectual property rights (and in leading the fight against piracy, which went over the top in 2011 with the SOPA debate) doesn’t usually play its “100th Anniversary” Music (which is pretty effective).  For example, with Christopher Nolan’s “Interstellar”, the music (by Hans Zimmer) for the film started as the Paramount mountain showed.  I think it is far more correct (legally) to show all the trademarks and play all their music first, and only then start the movie.
    
On another trademark issue, I repeatedly get invitations to load Adobe Flash Player when I go to Major League Baseball, but the site offering it is something called “Easy Computer Repairs”.  That sounds like a scheme to transmit malware, and that the copy of Flash would be fake.  But I notice that all the Adobe trademarks and usual messages are reproduced perfectly, just as with bank phishing schemes.  Trademark violation would be one way to go after these schemes, although it isn’t easy when they’re overseas and hosted in formerly communist countries.   

No comments: