Thursday, October 04, 2012

Companies often use the same marks without the public noticing


Just casual autumn walks in different towns shows that related businesses, especially bars and restaurants, sometimes use the same name.  Getting a domain name can be complicated for the second-comer (not exactly “second-hander”).

In Washington DC, in the Logan Circle area of 14th St., I pass a “Blue Moon”  sign on a restaurant.  I've also seen another similar circular sign farther up 14th that looks like the name of a drink. (I don't know my drinks because I'm not ready for "clown questions.")  In Rehoboth Beach, DE, there is a gay club (pretty well known nationally) by the same name.

I pass a tour bus with a white letters on red “ING” symbol (for "ING Tour").  I have no idea if this has any relationship to the global Dutch-owned finance company ING (my last “main” employer), which usually uses its trade dress with a lion as part of the image, and usually uses the slightly less garish color of orange (remember how grade school readers were color-coded?).  ING is active as a life insurer and bank in the US, and there are even some upscale apartment buildings in Washington DC managed by a real estate venture with the same mark. (As for the ING Lion, take note the next time you're in Amsterdam's Schiphol airport.) 

I don't know how much bearing all this would have on the "Lost Dog" controversy.


Update:  "Blue Moon" does seem to be the name of an ale.  I saw it the other day in a Safeway.  Again, I don't hang out around happy hours as much as Nolan Ross in "Revenge".   

No comments: